There are about 8.7 million discovered species of animals in the world with many more being discovered every day. Some of these animals are well known and we see a lot of them every day such as our domestic dogs and cats and other pets we keep as companions. But in that big list of species are animals that are so rare that some people have never seen them before, and some creatures are becoming extinct due to humans.
You might be surprised that some of these creatures exist at all because they are so unique, but we put together 10 rarest animals in the world for your enjoyment. But before we start, don’t forget to subscribe to our channel and turn on notifications and you'll be the first to know when a new video comes out. Let’s get started.
10. Hydromedusa Jellyfish – Deep in the Mariana Trench exists some amazing creatures never seen before by humans until recently. This jellyfish surprised marine biologists and you might notice that it looks somewhat like an alien spacecraft.
9. Sumatran Rhino – When you first see this creature, it really doesn’t resemble the rhino that everyone is familiar with such as the now extinct western black rhino, or the soon to be extinct white rhino with only two females left in the world.
8. Rafetus Turtle – Also known as the Yangtze giant softshell turtle, there were only 3 known Yangtze turtles left on the Earth when in May 2017 one of the last remaining 4 died. These turtles are also called Red River Turtles. It is one of the most critically endangered species in the world and is the largest soft-shelled turtle in the world.
7. Pygmy Three-toed Sloth - The pygmy three-toed sloth is the smallest of the three-toed sloths. It can only be found on the Isla Escudo de Veraguas. Famous for its slow movements, the pygmy three-toed sloth is ideally suited to life in the mangroves and is surprisingly good at swimming. The major threat to the pygmy three-toed sloth is habitat destruction.
6. Gooty or Metallic Tarantula – This spider is not only beautiful, but it is so rare that the only place it has ever been found is Nandyal-Giddalur road in Andhra Pradesh. That’s right, it’s habitat is a road. It was first discovered in a timber pile in Gooty where it picked up its name. It would be another 100 years until it was discovered again in the wild.
5. Angel Shark – Angel Sharks are interesting creatures and some people might actually confuse them as stingrays because they exhibit the same behavior by burying themselves under the sand which camouflages them from predators. They are a rare and unique species of shark, and when they are swimming you can clearly make out their shark shaped fins which they lay flat when hiding in the sand.
4. Elephant Shrew – This creature can only be found in Africa. And of course, the reason they are called the Elephant Shrew is that of their rather long and flexible noses which look a lot like an elephant’s trunk which they can twist and turn when searching for prey such as insects, earthworms, spiders, insects, centipedes, and millipedes.
3. Ploughshare Tortoise – When it comes to one of the most beautiful looking tortoises in the world, then the Ploughshare Tortoise is probably somewhere high up on that list. The golden-domed ploughshare tortoise lives at a single remote site in Madagascar. But due to illegal poaching, it is the most threatened tortoise on the planet.
2. Snub-Nosed Monkey – The Snub-Nosed Monkey is a very odd looking creature which has an almost alien-like appearance because it looks like its missing its nose. The monkey is mostly black with some white fur on its ear tufts, and their tails are one and a half times as long as their body.
1. Giant Squid – The interesting thing about this creature is that it’s so rare that before it was first seen in 2004 by Japanese scientists, no one thought that the creature even existed. Of course, there are many stories about giant squids attacking ships and boats, but no one had ever seen one in real life.
World's RAREST Dog Breeds Ever! Top 15 Smallest Animals In The World - Interesting facts about animals. 10 Most Mysterious Beach Discoveries. 5 Mysterious Creatures Caught on Camera. 10 Most Expensive Dogs You Won't Believe Exist. 10 Abnormally Large Dogs In The World. 10 Most Powerful Trucks In The World. 10 Insane Creatures Created by Scientists. STRANGEST Things Found In The Ocean! 10 Scary Fishing Videos Caught on Camera!